These little lasagnas are easy to make and are the perfect nosh for game night at home or a tailgate party out at the field. One easy recipe makes many and kids love them too. Switch-up the flavours to make the mix Mexican or Greek versions – variety is the spice of life!
MAKES 12 Servings - PREP TIME 20 min - COOK TIME 15 min - TOTAL TIME 35 min
1 lb (0.45 kg) Lean or Medium Ground Beef
½ cup minced onion
½ cup minced mushrooms
1 cup pasta sauce
¾ cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp minced green onion or chives
Salt and pepper
24 wonton wrappers
1 cup EACH grated Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Pan-fry ground beef, onions and mushrooms thoroughly in large skillet. Drain if necessary. Add pasta sauce and heat through.
2. Meanwhile, combine ricotta with basil, green onion, salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
3. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Press a wonton wrapper firmly into the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon in a scant 1 tsp EACH Parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta and top with 1 tbsp of the meat mixture.
4. Layer a second wonton into each cup and top each with approx. 1 tsp EACH of the cheeses. Divide meat mixture evenly among the cups (approx. 1/4 cup each). Top with additional grated Parmesan or mozzarella if desired.
5. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are brown and cupcakes are bubbling. Remove form the oven; let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Use a knife to remove each cupcake from muffin tin.
Chili Style: While adding tomato sauce stir in ½ cup salsa, 2/3 cup canned kidney beans (drained and rinsed), 2 tbsp chili powder and 1 tsp ground cumin. Use shredded Cheddar or Tex-Mex Cheddar cheese instead of the mozzarella.
Greek Style: While adding tomato sauce stir in 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves or Italian seasoning and ¼ tsp ground cinnamon. Use crumbled feta cheese instead of the mozzarella.
For the original recipe, click here.