Delicious and easy to prepare, this speedy skillet version of classic pot pie uses flavourful Top Sirloin Steak instead of the traditional braising beef cuts and a super-simple top crust made from garlicky Furlani® Texas toast. Serve with steamed green beans or broccoli.
MAKES 6 Servings - PREP TIME 15 min - COOK TIME 35 min - TOTAL TIME 50 min
4 slices bacon, diced
1½ lb (750 g) Beef Top Sirloin Grilling Steak, trimmed, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
¾ tsp (4 mL) EACH salt and fresh ground pepper, divided
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 pkg (227 g) sliced mushrooms
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
2 tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium beef broth (approx.)
½ cup (125 mL) frozen peas
2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
5 to 6 slices Furlani® garlic Texas toast, cut in half
3 tbsp (45 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook bacon over medium heat in a 9- to 10-inch (23 to 25 cm) deep ovenproof skillet or sauté pan for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, or until crispy around the edges. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Reserve fat in skillet.
2. Meanwhile, pat beef pieces dry with paper towel and season all over with ½ tsp (2 mL) each of the salt and pepper. Heat reserved skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in 2 batches, for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned but still pink inside; transfer to a bowl.
3. Add butter, mushrooms, onion, carrot, thyme and remaining ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are starting to soften and brown. Stir in ketchup; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and peas; bring to a boil.
4. Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp (30 mL) more broth or cold water in a small bowl until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Return bacon, beef and any accumulated juices to skillet. Stir to combine and heat to a simmer.
5. Arrange the pieces of Furlani Garlic Texas Toast on top of beef, overlapping the pieces slightly. Top with grated Parmesan.
6. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes or until the bread is crisp and golden.
For the original recipe, click here.